Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Forever working. . . accomplishing nothing

Do any of you ever feel like me? I feel like I work all day straightening the house and yet by the end of the day, I am exhausted and the house is still a disaster! I go from one mess to another without ever finishing the first. I start out folding laundry and then when I stop to take a load up to put away, I see my bed needs to be made so I do that. Then I need a drink and I notice that the dishes are piling up in the kitchen so I rinse those off and put them in the dishwasher. Then I notice that there are a ton of toys in the family room so I grab a handfull of those to take upstairs to put away. I do this all day. Never quite finishing a project--the laundry is still not done, the kitchen is still a mess, the family room is a disaster. How do you ever get anything done? My mom had a plaque or something when I was growing up that said something like housework is like string beads on a line that has no knot. I have to admit I hate housework. I hate working so hard for something that never ends. Now, granted, if I never did housework, it would just pile up and pile up, so my work does keep everything in check, however, I would just like it if when I cleaned something, it would stay that way for a little while at least. Oh well. Such is life. I guess I should get back to folding my laundry!

6 comments:

Mindy said...

It just never ends. Im hopeing maybe when the kids are older and out of the house, then it will be clean. Until then I have to keep telling myself "it is what it is". Good luck. Get some chocolate, that might help.

Darin and Joanna said...

Amen sister. But then I hear that someday when the kids are all gone we will miss the dirty little handprints on the glass and the toys all over the floor. So I guess we should just enjoy the mess while it lasts!

Mary said...

I'm the same way. I clean one room, then head to the next only to come back to the first and realize that while I was gone, the kids messed it up again. I sometimes yell, but that doesn't help any so I live with it. How do people keep their houses so clean?

Janna said...

I am already beginning to miss it. I already have a play room that my kids don't play in. The only time it gets "messed up" is when others come to play. And I tell them to leave the mess so that it looks like someone played in it. I do hate the mess outside though. How come kids can't put bikes back where they belong....on the bike rack, and baseball gloves and bats back in the baseball bag, etc. The kids are always running to me asking where things are...and if they don't put things away I get to keep them. Well kind of. The toys re-appear after a week or so. It will end. The clutter won't be there forever, I guess we need to learn to enjoy it while it lasts.

Beverly said...

Ah, the age old question. I personally am not satisfied cleaning all day long, so I do it in spurts throughout the day and I have realized that because I am unwilling to clean all day there will be messes. The messes drive me nuts now, but I know I will miss them someday.

Melissa@thebblog said...

that's why I had laundry. I work all weekend to get everything clean and then we take off our clothes and I have another load worth of dirty! We can't exactly run around naked so we can get it all clean at once though right?