Saturday, May 5, 2012

Potty Time

My baby, Jackson, is now 3 1/2.  We have been trying to get him interested in using the potty for quite some time but he has adamently refused.  He likes his diaper; he wants his diaper; and he wants nothing to do with underwear.  We have attempted with him several times with no success.  I have offered anything and everything I can think of to bribe him into doing it but with no luck.  He know when it is coming but something about going in the potty makes him nervous so he asks and crys for his diaper. This morning we made the attempt again.  I put underwear on him just to get him used to the feeling.  He did ok so I decided to try it for awhile.  We put together a train in his room while I waited, trying not to get to anxious, for him to feel the urge.  We waited several hours talking about what reward he could have if he went to the potty.  I offered to take him to McDonalds and he seemed pretty excited about that until he saw the bottle of fingernail polish on my bathroom counter.  He wanted me to paint is fingernails.  I knew Jeremy would be a little horrified by that but since I was willing to do anything to help him, I offered to paint his toenails if he went potty.   Finally, he said he needed to go.  He sat on the little potty and SUCCESS!!!  It was more of a dribble rather than fully letting his bladder empty but we counted it! We shouted and gave hugs and then I painted his toenails.  He was thrilled!
I am hopeful that this may be the start of more successes and although we have left him in his underwear, I worry that with all the distractions around I am just in for more accidents which will crumble my resolve and I will want him back in diapers. But for today, this moment at least, I am happy and pleased.


No comments: