Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sticks with Potential

Last Monday we went out to Engh Gardens because they were having a sale on all their trees. Everything was 50% off so we thought we would head out and look. We were amazed to find trees for $30 so Jeremy decided to buy 5. Now, granted, these aren't the bigger more mature trees, they are just the sticks with a few leaves on top. That's the way we buy trees. I can't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on trees. Plus, we get the satisfaction of watching them grow and get bigger. In our last house we planted a few trees and it was so fun to watch them reach up over the fence little by little as the years went by. We bought 4 Red Sunset Maples and 1 Crabapple. I am a little nervous about the crabapple because I think they put down messy fruit in the summer but we will see. Jeremy said that if we really don't like it, we can pull it out and try something else. That is the great thing about only spending $30--we wouldn't mind pulling it out. I loved the color of it and it reminded us of the tree we had in our old yard.
Here are a few pictures for my family so you can see where we planted the trees. It still may be hard to tell but at least I tried.
Here is the crabapple in the front yard. You can also see one of the new maples in the backyard.

This is the maple you could see from the front yard, but now with a view from the back.

Can you make out the two trees? The one by the sidewalk is pretty obvious, the other is off to the right of the picture along the edge of the grass.

One more view, showing the tree by the sidewalk again, but also the new tree at the back of our property by the edge of the grass. We now have three trees back there along the fenceline (or at least where the fence would be if we had one).

I think it will be great when they are all a few years older. For now, as I said they are mostly just sticks growing out of the ground with a lot of potential.

9 comments:

Melissa@thebblog said...

that red one will look great along with the red on your house! i hope that it doesn't turn out to be too messy. they look great!

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

I love your title..."sticks with potential"...that made me laugh. Very clever. I'm thinking that I need to buy a couple of maples. Also, I like where you planted them. Nice shade a few years down the road.

Mary said...

Nice Kate. I've never had to buy a tree so I wouldn't even know what to look for. Good luck with the apple. I had a dwarf peach tree in Layton and I hated it because we never ate the peaches and they would fall and smash and they attracted bees.

Evie said...

Your yard looks so great! And don't worry, I was a stick once... in no time at all they will be HUGE!!:)

Liz Morrey Romrell said...

I think your sticks are beautiful! Crabapples aren't too bad. I had one at my old house and the fruit was no big deal at all. By the way, your flowers look amazing!!

Dawn said...

Globe willows are my current favorite. They have such a pretty shape and grow fast. Aunt Dawn

Anon said...

I love maples!! I planted some last year and I cant wait 20 years from now when my yard is covered in them. I am sorry about piano this week, I am hoping my mom called you and told Livvy wasnt coming!

Andrea said...

All plants look teeny and sad when you first plant them, but next season they'll take off! (Unless you have the same kind of luck that your front parkstrip trees had!)j/k

Laneea said...

Looking good. Crabapples are not that bad. I had one in our yard growing up. Yes they do have fruit but at least they are not like apricots that just get everywhere on your grass. We used to just pick them and throw them at each other.