Saturday, January 16, 2010

Could anything else have gone wrong?

Holly had her birthday party last night. We had eight little girls over and they had a great time! Holly loved everything about it, however things did not quite go as I had planned. The plan was to have a late night, being all girly, watching movies, doing nails and eating snacks with a few games, presents and cake thrown in.
We had things all ready and were anxiously waiting for party guests when the first disaster occured. When the second party guest arrived, Dalton raced to the door, but since he was wearing feety pajamas he slipped on the tile and got a bloody nose right there in the entryway. So, we have party guest all arriving while Dalton is screaming and standing over a pile of blood. I am trying to guide the kids away from the mess while Jeremy is trying to clean Dalton and get the bleeding stopped. Jackson, of course, just wants to walk through the mess. It was not a great way to start off the party.
After that things were going fine. We played games and then the kids started eating snacks and watching a movie while I pulled the girls over one at a time to paint their fingers or toes. Everything was going quite well until Holly came over and grabbed one of the fingernail polish bottles. I had not closed it yet so when she tried to pick it up it spilled all over the table, my pants and the carpet. It was bright pink! I was incredibly angry at Holly, but really I was the one who didn't close the bottle and I was the one who set up our "salon" over the carpet. WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!
So, for the rest of the party Jeremy worked on the carpet. After trying several other things, he finally just decided to cut off the top of the carpet where it was pink. That sounds bad, I know, but we have "shaggy" carpet so you really can't tell where it was at all.
(Before)
(After)The rest of the evening was pretty normal with just normal birthday activities and messes. After the party was over, I just found myself laughing because I couldn't believe what had happened.
But on the up-side, I made a really cute birthday banner.
The important part is that Holly had a fabulous time and I think the other girls did too. Hopefully they didn't notice too much stress in Jeremy and I.

What a cute little group!

7 comments:

Mary said...

That's a cute idea for a party! I don't do parties. I'm pretty pathetic. Sorry that the party stated off rough. But it sounds like it ended great and that the kids had a great time. Happy Birthday to miss Holly!

Camilla Millar said...

Excellent work on the carpet.

Looked like the party was a smash!

Unknown said...

We've had fingernail polish on the carpet in this house and the last one. It's kind of one of those things you just expect will happen sometime with kids. Like them cutting their own hair. Not happy about it but you know it will probably end up happening sooner or later.

Darin and Joanna said...

What a cute birthday idea! It sounds like fun....other than a couple set backs! I can't believe Holly is 6!

Evie said...

Natalie said and I quote "it was the BEST birthday party EVER!!" Thanks for having her, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY!

Melissa@thebblog said...

Cute group of kids. What did Dalton think about being the only boy? Lucky kid (well, except the bloody nose part). Good thing Jeremy is smart, you won't even know the accident happened.

Happy Birthday Holly!!

Liz Morrey Romrell said...

Thanks for having Ashley over. She had so much fun! I'm sorry about all of the drama!