Last Monday I took Allison to the library. When it was time to go she was sitting on the floor with a book. I took the book from her and told her that we could take it home with us but she still didn't want to get up. So, I grabbed her hand and pulled her up. The minute I did it I thought I shouldn't have done that and she immediately started crying. She held her arm and cried the whole way out of the library. I felt so bad, I immediatly figured that I had dislocated her arm somehow but I was hoping that it had gone right back in and that she would stop crying soon. In fact, when we got in the car, she stopped crying and told me that she wanted to go to the next store with me. But, when I got her out of the car and had to move her arm, she started crying again. I debated whether or not to take her to the InstaCare right then, but I will still hoping that time would make it better and I needed to get home to take Holly to preschool. I figured that if she was still hurting I would take her after we dropped Holly off. When we got home, we turned on a movie and as long as she didn't move her arm she was fine. So, after calling my mom, my father-in-law (a doctor) and Andrea, I decided to wait a little. Allison even took a nap. When she woke up, I was still debating. I hated seeing her in pain. If she would move her arm at all she would start crying again. After picking up Holly from preschool we stopped to see Margaret. She is a nurse who has worked in InstaCares and the ER. I wanted her opinion. I was still afraid that if I took her in they would just tell me that her arm had popped out and then back in and that it would get less sore as time went by. And for this usless knowledge they would charge me an arm and a leg. However, Margaret said that something was wrong and I probably should take her in. I had to teach piano so I decided that I would wait until Jeremy came home so he could help me decide what to do. Luckily, he was able to come home a little early and we decided to take her over to the InstaCare. While there, she actually used her sore arm to point to the fish in the office and I was sure that it was getting better but we went through with in anyway. When they went back to take an X-ray of her arm (very costly, I'm sure) the technician moving her arm into the right position felt a pop and from then on Allison was fine. We still saw the doctor but by the time he came in, Ally was raising both hands over her head and telling us that it was all better.
I'm so glad that we took her in and I now feel guilty that it took me so long to take her in, but at least they did something at the InstaCare so I don't feel like we are paying for nothing.
6 comments:
Oh Katie, I am so sorry! I am glad she is ok. I always debate wheter to take my kids in but for us 9 times out of 10 they have needed a cast or stitches. It is a good thing my dr knows me so well or he would probably have reported me by now.
Yeah, I've done that. With Rebekah I waited overnight before taking her in. I think Brandon's popped out 3 times. Seems like it happens when they are pulling on you or you are pulling on them and they twist. At least that seems to be the case for my kids. Ugh. The doc. actually taught me how to put it back in and I did it myself the last time on Brandon.
That same thing has happened to kaige several times, each time I know exactly what it is and pay the money to have them fix it in 10 seconds. We were seeing our docter so much, that he actually taught me how to pop it back in, but it scares me, so the next time i still took him in to have a professional do it. Luckily it has been a couple of years with no more incidents. I am glad that she is feeling better!
Katie, that is too bad. It happens to all of us. Glad she is okay. I'm glad to finally be on your blog! It looks so cute. You havea darling family! It was great to see you in Utah. Keep us posted and love you lots.
That doesn't sound like very much fun! I am glad that she is OK! Good luck this week with the baby! Post pictures soon!
Welcome to world of tennis elbow! I was first introduced to it when my son, Orrin, pulled up his friend Meredith up from off the ground and dislocated her arm. I was freaking, but this was the 4th time it has happened to Meredith, so her mom was calm. I had to drive them all to Instacare, since her car was in the shop. Meanwhile, she showed me how to fix it by holding her arm at a right angle forward and while bracing the upper arm, holding her hand and twisting the lower arm back and forth gently. She hates to do it because her daughter won't let her do it without screaming like a banshee. (She's a nurse, BTW) Anyhoo . . . wouldn't you know it but a few weeks later, my daughter, Amara, was hanging off my neck (while I was sitting) at a library presentation and she started screaming and grabbing her arm. I rushed her out to the hallway, assessed the situation, and tried the maneuver. WALLAH! It worked! I heard the pop and her arm was set again. It happened again a few years later and I fixed it then too. Sadly, once it happens, your child is more susceptible for it to happen again.
Post a Comment