Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Are You Smarter Than a Third Grader?

After dinner this evening, Dalton asked us how many oceans there were. Jeremy told him 7 and I thought that sounded about right. Dalton, however, immediately said, "NO!" So Jeremy asked him how many there were. When he didn't answer right away I asked him to name them. He got a thoughtful look and started, "Southern . . ." I Didn't want him to get them all wrong so I started prompting and said, "Atlantic. . ." so he said, "Atlantic, Southern . . ." I stopped him and told him that there was not a "Southern Ocean." He got all indignant and said, "I was in school today, you weren't!"
Jeremy took Dalton to the computer to look up the information to show Dalton that he was wrong, and I guess we haven't been in school recently enough because there are not 7 oceans there are 5 and the Antarctic Ocean is now called the Southern Ocean. Apparently, we aren't smarter than a third grader!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh boy. I didn't know that! When did that happen? The same time they decided that Pluto wasn't a planet anymore??? It's hard to keep up these days.

Liz said...

Wow, that's funny! I didn't know that either. I want to know when that changed too. And when did a junior high math book become all electronic? I'll be curious to see what school is like when Anna starts next year.

Melissa@thebblog said...

um, I would have gotten it wrong too! 7 continents right? (did I spell continents right?) maybe that is where you are getting the 7 from.

DD said...

Wow, that's a shocker. And just how do schools expect us to help our children when they start arbitrarily changing facts on us? That's pretty funny. Yep, I always did have a hard time convincing you girls that I was smarter than your teachers!! Now it's your turn. Good luck.
Mommy