Monday, October 12, 2009

Rash

Well, it's been over a week now and the symptoms have all but disappeared, which means I now have some time to write about it. Last week Jackson started to break out in a rash. He had been taking Ammoxicillian for an ear infection and I immediately assumed that he was allergic to the medicine. Dalton had done the same thing right around his first birthday as well and it was because of an allergy to Ammoxicillian. So, I took Jackson into the doctor the next day (Saturday). The doctor said it probably was an allergy to the medicine but he also said that it might be a different rash that was just caused by Jackson's body reacting to a virus he had. I felt pretty certain that it was because of the medicine because it was so much like what we had experienced with Dalton. Since the ear infection was not completely gone he had us switch from the Ammoxicillian to Omnicef which unfortunately is a much more expensive antibiotic but we went ahead and made the switch. The doctor also had us give Jackson Benadryl every 6 hours and switch between Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours. Boy, was Jackson drugged up!
We were hoping to see some improvement but by Sunday evening Jackson was covered in a rash and his arms and legs were purple and swollen. He acted like he was in pain everytime we touched his legs so we decided to take him in to Primary's. Luckily for us, it wasn't super busy so we were able to get back to see someone right away. The frustrating thing was that they couldn't tell us exactly what the reason was for Jackson's rash either. They mentioned that about 20% of the time someone who is allergic to Ammoxicillian is also allergic to Omnicef so it could be that he was just allergic to the new antibiotic we were giving him so he was getting worse. But they also looked at some of his rash and thought it looked like the other type of rash that the pediatrician had told us about. They brought in four or five different doctors to look at him and they still couldn't decided. However, they said it didn't matter because the course of treatment was the same--do nothing. Basically they had us stop all antibiotics (they said his ear looked better) and then we just had to wait for it to go away. I'm sure we will be charged an arm and a leg for this information but what do you do?
Sure enough it has pretty much disappeared and Jackson is back to normal, aside from being a little more clingy than usual. He sure looked pretty awful and I felt so bad for him. I'm glad it is finally over.

6 comments:

Maryann said...

Oh my goodness. Poor baby!I hope he is feeling better soon!

Mary said...

That looked awful. Isn't it frustrating when you take them to the doctor and they can't tell you what's wrong? I'm glad that it went away and that he's doing better.

DD said...

Poor little boy. That rash looks so uncomfortable and Jackson looks sad. I'm glad he's doing better. And crumb about all the wasted money! Though Daddy always said if it puts your mind at rest, that's good. Better safe than sorry is what I always consoled myself with.
Mommy

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Boy...that rash (so much like Daltons! I remember the pictures!) is nothing like the one that Brandon got when he had a reactions to ammoxicillin. His rash had smaller dots. Funny how reactions, illnesses, etc. can affect kids in different ways.

Darin and Joanna said...

I'm so sorry, that looks awful! Don't you love when doctors just say it will go away. I just want them to give me something to make it go away!!! Hopefully you won't have to do that again!

Janna said...

Rashes can be scary, and his looked scary. It never hurts to ask and get more than one opinion, especially when you are following your motherly instincts. Glad he is doing better.