I have been teaching piano for around 6 years now. I started out teaching my niece, Rebekah. Then her sister, Julianne started. When we moved we didn't live close enough to teach them anymore but I was able to quickly get a couple of new students here. Since starting here about 4 years ago, I have steadily added new students and lost students, but continued to grow. When we had our piano recital on December 3rd. I was surprised to realize that I had 25 students. I hadn't really paid attention to how many I had so I was amazed to see how many students I was actually teaching. Plus, I have 3 more students starting in February. When I first started I really didn't think I would be teaching this many kids. It began as a favor to my sister. When we moved here we needed the extra income to help pay for two houses but once we sold the other house that reason went away as well. I have to admit, the extra income is great, however, I find myself really enjoying teaching. I love to see the kids progress. The recital is always a time I find myself realizing how much they have grown and how good they are getting. Even though putting together a recital is a lot of work that I tend to dread, I love the actual recital. Listening to the kids perform is a great treat for me. I am always so proud to see them get up and play their best. I really have come to love and enjoy my piano students. Working with kids is the reason I went into Elementary Education and I am glad that I still get to do that. Plus, I truly love music and it is great to be able to share that love with so many and hopefully help them enjoy it as much as I do.
Dalton and Holly are taking piano as well. Dalton takes from our neighbor, Liz Romrell. We trade kids. I teach her son, Nick and she teaches Dalton. It is working out so much better than me teaching Dalton. It gives him someone else, besides me, to be responsible to. I am still teaching Holly but I am hoping that soon, Liz and I will begin to trade our girls as well.
The recital was a Christmas recital. The kids all played one Christmas number and then another song that they liked from their piano books. Dalton played Old St. Nicholas and Holly played Jingle Bells.

No comments:
Post a Comment