Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chaos!

You know those times when everything all seems to happen at the same time? That happened here today. The carpet layers are here laying the carpet for the basement. Loud, but no big deal -- exciting even. Then the fireplace people showed up to work on the new fireplace and to add a new blower to the one upstairs. Still a good thing, just getting more crowded. At this same time I needed to take Allison to a birthday party so I sent the kids to jump into the van. As I was grabbing my things I heard a loud crash that sounded like glass breaking. My first thought was the workers had hit something. (They had already knocked the clock off the wall for the second time today -- Jackson threw a ball and knocked it off the first time this morning.) Nope, Dalton had run through the hallway on his way to get in the van and knocked a big picture off the wall. The glass shattered everywhere and I didn't have time to clean it up because we still had to get Ally to the party on time. So, I left the mess and all the workers and I did some fancy manuvering to get the van out of the driveway passed all the other trucks and vans parked there and I took Ally to the party. When I got home I took the kids up to my room to watch a movie, got them all settled and then the doorbell rang and another guy was here needing to go through my whole house to count door hardware. I was a little embarrassed because my house is no where near clean today, but oh well. While he was counting I was trying to quickly clean up the broken glass and stay out of the way of the carpet layers bringing in rolls of carpet and the fireplace guys who were in and out as well.
These are the moments when I feel that I have no control and that I am just here for the ride. I just have to keep reminding myself that I asked for all of this and I am actually quite thrilled that it is all getting done.

2 comments:

Mary said...

But...the end is in sight! They will be done soon and you will have a beautiful basement and compared to all this construction noise, your children's sweet quarreling will be quite tame! Ha Ha!

Melissa@thebblog said...

what - no pictures? I was depending on pictures so I didn't look carefully at them on your camera last night!!! Maybe a visit to your house for a quick tour is more in order anyway. So excited . . . . .!