So, my sweet, cute, little Jackson has entered a new phase. I would call it the screaming phase. Has anyone else dealt with this? Jackson now screams a very loud and high pitched scream anytime he wants something or someone (which is quite often). I'm afraid it is very annoying and drives me crazy. I don't remember any of my other kids going through this. We took the kids to Arby's last night and I was horribly embarrassed when Jackson was screaming in the restaurant. Jeremy is worried about church. I just want to know how long it will last. I'm not sure if I am going to make it through this phase.
6 comments:
Not sure what to tell you there Kate. Abby can scream quite loudly but it's not all the time. Probably just your typical 3 year old thing. But unfortunately we usually give in to what she wants when we're out in public just to make her be quiet! That's probably not helping any though. Maybe just let Jackson scream it out somewhere and he'll get the idea? Who am I kidding? He's only 11 months. I guess I don't have any good suggestions for you. Sorry.
Oh dear, and unfortunately it works well for Jackson. When he screams, he immediately gets your attention so he is rewarded in his action! Maybe he needs a negative response, like being whisked into a room by himself for a minute or two every time he screams? Or give him your attention when he first asks for it, praising him lavishly, instead of waiting until the scream comes? Oh boy, what to do. None of the other kids did the screaming bit, did they? Jackson is an original.
Good luck. Mommy
Good luck with that! If he were older it might be easier to bribe him to be quite. When they are that little...I guess you just go with the flow! By the way you looked darling on Sun.! Your choir sounded great. I just wished you weren't on the far left of the screen. You didn't get nearly as much camera time as the other side! :) What a neat experience to be so close to the prophet!
Wow, I can't believe that strong of a scream can come out of that little boy! I've heard it and it's . . . wow! Maybe he'll grow up to be a great actor because he can project his voice so well, or perhpas an auctioneer or maybe he'll be a commentator for sports!
It's hard when they are that young. Maybe he will have a wonderful singing voice like his mom. He is probably just trying to get used to his voice, now that he has found it. Does he use a binky? Don't worry about church, there are plenty of other screamers there too.
You know, I actually would say that Roger was a screamer and still tends to do it. I think your mom hit it on the nose--they get your attention this way.
Roger would embarrass me so much (still does) and I'd try EVERYTHING to shush him up. I finally decided that nothing I could do would placate him, SO: whenever he screamed, I said calmly (at least I tried to be calm), "Roger doesn't scream at his mom." Then I would wisk him to his crib. I set the timer for a minute and then retrieved him. If he wasn't over the scream, sometimes I just let him chill in the crib till I felt I could handle the situation.
I still do this, even though he is two and can communicate better. All I can say is now, when the time rings (it is two minutes now), he knows he had better shush up or mom won't get him out of the crib!
Good luck--I can't say this method is failsafe, but sometimes it works. And over the long run, I can say things have definitely gotten better. . . .
Post a Comment