Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Laundry Room

Our laundry room was built with a shelf above the washer and dryer.  It was great at the time, because we were coming from a house with the laundry down in the unfinished basement.  Having a room devoted to laundry and on the main floor was fabulous to me.  However, as the shelf got full of junk I thought it might be nice to have cabinets with doors rather than an open shelf.  It would be nice to hide all the junk behind doors.  We talked about buying unfinished cabinets but then Jeremy's parents redid their kitchen and were getting new cabinets and we were able to get some cabinets from them. 
Jeremy hung them on the wall and then he used the old shelf and cut it up to make shelves to fit in the remaining area.  I loved it, but to finish the project we needed to paint everything.  Instead of just painting everything white again, I wanted to add color.  So, while Jeremy was out of town, I went to the store, picked a color and painted the room.  I loved the color but we decided that it was a little too dark and so I jokingly said we should add crown moulding.  I really was joking at first but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.  Then I thought we should add a wainscoting.  So, I did!  Jeremy showed me how to use the miter saw and the nail gun and then I went to town.  I even removed the old baseboards and then reused them over a taller baseboard.  I am thrilled with how it turned out!  You would think that I would be done, but now I am thinking that the cabinets would look great painted white.  So, that is my next project.  Here is the process:
I removed the old baseboards and put in the new ones.
I put up the vertical strips.  We decided to go with a chair rail moulding that was a little more decorative.
Notice the old baseboards installed on top of the new taller baseboard.
Then Jeremy installed the crown moulding and I painted it all.  I love it!

2 comments:

Mary said...

It makes me happy! Thank you for doing this so I could get the courage and do mine. Looks fantastic.

Luan said...

why do all my nieces have nicer houses than I do. totally unfair! love you anyway. aunt lu