So, Thursday as I was coming home from choir, driving Jeremy's car, of course, I got a flat tire. I was coming from Draper via Bangerter. I got almost the whole way home before I started smelling burning rubber. I first thought that someone around me was having trouble, but then I noticed that no one was around me. I then wondered if I was passing an area with a smell, kind of like when you smell a skunk, but the smell didn't go away. Then I started worrying that it was my car. I wondered if the heat was somehow making the smell but when I turned off the heat and the radio I realized that the car was sounding awfully noisy as well as smelling bad. Then I turned off Bangerter and as I began to drive slower I started realizing that the nagging little voice in the back of my head worrying about a flat tire was probably right. I first thought I could make it home but then I decided that I needed to stop to see what was wrong. I pulled into Harmon's and got out to look. Sure enough, I had a flat tire. Completely flat! It was after 10:00 but I called Jeremy and told him that he might need to come help me. Then I noticed that there was an air pump so I told him I would try to fill the tire to see if it could get me home. However, when I got to the air pump, the hose was no where to be found. I guess they take it in at night. I called Jeremy back and was telling him that he would need to come help when I noticed some people coming over to help. So, I told Jeremy that I would see what happened and if I needed him I would call back. An incredibly nice man helped me change the tire. I guess he and his family saw me at the gas station and then saw me pull over to the air pump and the man's wife told him that he needed to follow me to help. It was amazing. I have no idea who he was but he made a huge impact on my life that night. Once the tire was changed I drove home. I have no idea how long the tire was flat. I didn't feel anything while driving that made me think the tire was flat. I'm wondering if it was flat when I left choir and I just didn't notice or if it happened somewhere on the way home. Luckily, I didn't ruin the rim but the tire had holes worn all the way through it.
You would think that was the end of the story, but no. When we went out the next morning so Jeremy could see the tire we discovered that the spare tire was now completely flat as well.
Do we have the best luck or what!? We ended up having to jack up the car, take the spare off and take it in to the tire place to be pumped up, then we took it back home, put it back on the car so we could take the car and the other tire in as well. We were close to needing new tires anyway so rather than just having one new one, we got all new tires. It really is just my luck!
4 comments:
I'm glad you made it home safely! What a crazy story!
What a nice couple to stop and help you change your tire. I'm not sure if I could change one myself or not. Never done it. I know how it's supposed to be done, but not sure that I have enough strength to get the lug nuts off.
two flats in one night, it can't get much worse than that! I'm grateful for nice people who will stop and help.
What a crazy experience! Sheesh.
Post a Comment