Friday, May 30, 2014

Happy Birthday, Dalton!

Dalton turned 12 years old today!  That is so crazy to me!  Most birthdays kind of come and go without changing too much.  A few birthdays have a little more meaning because of the changes they involve:  8 years old--baptism, 16 years old--driving,  21--becoming an adult.  A 12th birthday fits in with those.  Dalton will now receive the Aaronic priesthood, he will begin passing the sacrament and all the other duties that come with being a deacon, he will begin attending the Young Men organization rather than primary and even though it doesn't exactly go right along with his birthday, he will be starting Junior High in a few more months.  He is growing up before my eyes!  He is becoming a teenager and I'm not sure I am ready for that.  He no longer calls friends to see if they can "play,"  he calls to see if they want to "hang out."  I know that is a funny distinction to make, but in my mind it is a big one.  He is constantly busy with baseball, scouts, and friends.  Now he will have YM activities as well.  His homework already messes with my brain,  I'm a little worried about Junior High. 

I'm having mixed emotions about him growing up.  I love to see him progress and become a more grown up.  Someone I can talk to about normal things, however, I am missing my little boy and the funny things he used to say.  (We still tease him about the fact that he used to call his finger a "thinger.") 

Oh, how I love my sweet boy, Dalton. I am afraid that these next six years before his mission are just going to fly by.  I am promising myself to try to cherish them all.  He is such a wonderful boy and we are so lucky to have him in our family!

No comments: