Saturday, November 30, 2013

Starting Out the Season

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a stickler.  I refuse to start celebrating for Christmas before Thanksgiving.  However, the day after Thanksgiving, I get into the thick of it.  Every year the radio station, FM100, does a bunch of free Christmas mini concerts.  They always start with Kurt Bestor.  I absolutely love Kurt Bestor's Christmas music.  It always puts me in the Christmas mood.  I remember my parents taking us to a Kurt Bestor Christmas concert once when I was younger.  I loved it!  Then, the first Christmas after Jeremy started working for SHPI, they took everyone in the company and their spouses to the concert as part of their Christmas party.  Again, it was fantastic.  A few years later, when I was singing in the Millennium Choir with Lex de Azevedo, Kurt asked Lex if we would be willing to sing in his concert.  It was the most amazing experience!
I hadn't seen him in concert since we sang for him, so this year when I heard them announce on the radio that Kurt Bestor would be doing a free mini concert the day after Thanksgiving I decided I was going.
It ended up being a crazy day and I was running late but I was still determined to go.  By the time I got there the concert was about half over, but the minute I heard him start to play I got the biggest grin on my face and I couldn't wipe it off.  It was as if the music was washing over me.  It was peaceful and exciting all at the same time.  I loved it!  When he was playing his last song, one that was very familiar to me, I was a little surprised to find that along with my smile, tears were running down my face.  It was Christmas!  It was one of those moments I hope to have all Christmas long, where you just feel the joy and the spirit of Christmas.  It was the perfect way to start out my Christmas holiday! 

No comments: