I copied this post directly from my sister's blog. I always knew my mom had a ton of books but it was highly interesting to me to find out just exactly how many she has. She instilled in all of us a great love of reading. And, not just reading but a great love of books. Whenever I find a good book, I don't just want to read it, I want to own it.
Like my mother, I love to share good books. Whenever, I see my mom she asks me if I need more books. The last time I was at her house, she sent me home with eight new books to read. The best part about the "Dalton Library" is that each book comes with a good recommendation and a short synopsis of the storyline.
Thanks Sarah for letting me steal your blog, even though I didn't ask, and thanks to Julianne for doing the actual count and putting the speculation to bed once and for all.
Books, books and more books by Sarah
I've always said that my mom has so many books she could open her own library. This past weekend while the kids were staying with her, Julianne decided to count them all. Every. Single. Book. It took awhile. Rebekah and I helped her with the last book shelf....the one where on every shelf the books are double-deckered.
Under the stairs: 1,053
Den: 1,729
Upstairs TV/sitting room: 236
Upstairs hallway: 14
Kitchen: 350 (Yes, there really is a bookshelf in the kitchen...with regular books, not cookbooks. We didn't count the cookbooks, now that I think of it!)
Living room: 28
Guest room: 37
Downstairs family room: 2,303
Exersize room: 411
Master bedroom: 5
GRAND TOTAL: 6,508
Keep in mind that this does not count books that are out on loan...of which, I'm sure, there are many. There are at least 5 or 6 at my house alone! This also does not include the book shelf that is brimming with piano/choir/voice songbooks. Or, apparently, cookbooks. We showed the number to my dad. To which he replied, "See! This is why we can never move. How can we ever move that many books?" Luckily for my mom, my dad is a handyman who is more than capable of building many beautiful bookshelves to hold her library. And once those shelves are filled with books.... my dad calls it "expensive wallpaper."
No comments:
Post a Comment