Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Letter 2013

Christmas time is here again!  The tree and decorations are up.  Christmas music has been playing.  Holiday baking and candy making has begun.  There is even snow on the ground.  It is definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas! 

Jeremy and I just celebrated our 13th anniversary.  It is hard to believe that so many years have gone by since we started our little family.  It is amazing to look back and reflect on all that has happened in those 13 years—new babies, new homes, new cars, new jobs, even a new dog.  I finally feel like we are settling in. 

We have been in our home for 6 years now and we are still doing projects to make it more the way we want it.  Jeremy loves working on projects and is never afraid to learn to do new things.  This year we worked on the laundry room and the backyard.  In the laundry room Jeremy added cabinets above the washer and dryer which I have been wanting for years.  Then I painted the room green.  The green initially felt a little too overwhelming for the space so we added board and batten and crown molding.  It looks fantastic!  It makes me want to add more wood working throughout the house.

The backyard patio has been something we have talked about for years.  Jeremy always wanted a hot tub and I wanted a deck or patio where we could have an outdoor eating area.  After much planning and deliberating we put the hot tub about 2-3 feet into the ground and then built a paver patio adjacent to it.  It wasn’t our original plan but I love the way it turned out.  We ended up with an area for sitting and another for dining.  I can’t wait to be able to spend our summer evenings out in the backyard. 

In the middle of the patio process, Jeremy hurt his back.  He has had a bad back since we first got married but this time it wouldn’t get better.  His MRI showed bulging disks pressing on his nerves causing a lot of pain in his back and down his legs.  He went to see a chiropractor, he did physical therapy, he got steroid shots and nothing helped so the neurosurgeon finally recommended surgery, which he had a week and a half ago.  The surgery went well and he is in the process of recovering.

In October, Jeremy got to fulfill a bucket list type item.  For Father’s Day we got him a voucher to drive a Lamborghini out at Miller Sports Park.  He loves exotic sports cars and I doubt we will ever be the proud owners of one, so this was a great opportunity for him.  He loved it!  He was blown away by the power and feel of the car.  If we had unlimited funds, that would definitely be his Christmas present.

 
This year, to fulfill a bucket list type item of my own, I decided I wanted to try a triathlon.  My first one turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.  I ended up with a flat tire during the bike portion and couldn’t finish it.  I did the swim and the run but I was not happy with how it turned out.  So, I tried again a few weeks later.  The second time, everything went well.  No flat tires and I can now say that I have completed a triathlon.  I was quite proud of myself.

This year I also joined several of my friends in a weight loss competition.  I just wanted a little motivation to lose a few extra pounds, and low and behold, I won!  I discovered that when I really put my mind to something I can be downright dedicated!  I also discovered that I really do well with group motivation.  I am thinking that after the holidays I might have to sign up for another one.
 
I am still singing in with my family in The Sally Bytheway Chorale.  It is so much fun, especially since my dad joined with us in the Spring.  I love being able to see my parents and two of my sisters every week. 
 
 
In August, we took the family up to Redfish Lake in Idaho.  We spent a couple of days camping with Jeremy’s parents and his aunt and uncle.  It was so much fun!  The kids were in heaven.  We roasted hot dogs and made s’mores over the fire.  We went hiking and kayaking.  We went to the fish hatchery and then went fishing.  Holly caught the only fish.  We played games and slept in a tent.  The kids played in the lake.  It was amazingly beautiful and so much fun.  I think we might have to do it again someday.  

The kids are all another year older.  Dalton is now 11 and in 6th grade.  He got to go on his first scout overnight camp.  It rained the whole time they were there but I think he had a great time anyway.  He played soccer and baseball.  He is quite the baseball player.  His games are super fun to watch.  He played third base, short stop and he even got to play catcher once.  Dalton was on a great team, made lots of new friends, and even went to the finals.  He also ran his first 5K with me, my sister, Sarah, and his cousins this year.  It was called the Electric Run and was at night in the dark.  We wore all kinds of glow-in-the-dark bracelets and things.  It was pretty much a party! Dalton loves to hang out with friends and loves to play anything electronic.
Holly is now 9 and in 4th grade.  She played soccer this year and earned quite a bit of money doing it.  Jeremy tried to motivate the kids by offering them $5 for each goal and Holly took advantage of it!  She is a very good player and made most of the goals for her team this year.  Jeremy was the assistant coach for Dalton’s soccer team so somehow I ended up being the coach for Holly’s team.  Luckily, whenever Jeremy was available he would take over my coaching duties.  Holly is doing very well in school and loves to play with friends.  She is a great helper at home as well. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Allison is 7 and in 2nd grade.  She finally started losing teeth this year.  She was quite thrilled to have the tooth fairy come for her.  Sadly, the tooth fairy seems to struggle to make it to our house before Ally wakes up, but thankfully, she always makes it eventually.  Ally tried out dance this year.  In the Spring she took Jazz and in the Fall she switched to Hip Hop.  I’m not sure which she likes better but she really does enjoy it!  She has decided that she might like to be a dance teacher when she grows up, “because I am so athletic!”









Jackson is 5 and in his 2nd year of preschool.  I can’t believe that my baby will be going to kindergarten next year.  I’m not sure what I will do with myself.  It has been fun to have some one on one time with Jackson.  I think he would rather have everyone else around though, because I’m not as fun as his siblings.  Jack played soccer and T-ball this year.  At his age, in both sports, the kids mostly just run around and try to figure out what they are supposed to be doing.  It is awfully cute to watch.
We hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas season.  How grateful we are for wonderful friends and family!  The Lord has blessed us with so much.  We see His hand in our lives. 
Love,
The Snow's
Jeremy, Katie, Dalton, Holly, Allison, and Jackson


 

1 comment:

S Lindsay said...

It's great to read an update on your sweet family! Triathalons, wow! Best wishes for Jeremy's swift and full recovery. You're all lovely people!!