Jeremy and I went to our party caucus the other night. We have never been. With the presidential election coming up this year, we found ourselves much more interested in politics. I'm afraid that I have often largly ignored politics because, number 1: we live in Utah and the outcome is pretty much assured, and number 2: I don't know what the issues are and so I don't feel like I can make an informed decision. In the past, I have felt like those who really understand the issues would make a good decision, however, I have come to realize that my lack of interest, along with others, allows special interest groups to jump in and push their own agenda.
So, with all this in mind, a letter from the First Presidency asking us to go and get involved, and with just plain curiosity, I went to the caucus meeting and dragged Jeremy along with me.
I was surprised to see so many people I recognized from my ward and neighborhood. It was a great feeling to be there together in support of our country and community. I am a little embarrassed to admit that as we all stood to say the Pledge of Allegiance I got a little teary. I was moved by this group of people all proud to be Americans and willing to do something to make it a better place for us to live.
I thought for a few seconds about volunteering to be a delegate, until I realized that they all had to get up and give a little speech about why they wanted to be a delegate and answer questions. I would have appeared mighty uninformed if I had been up there. I was impressed by those we did pick as being well informed and willing to listen and learn. Maybe someday I will feel informed enough to be able to be a delegate.
No comments:
Post a Comment