Monday, March 15, 2010

9-1-1 Emergency

Jackson was playing with the phone when suddenly it started ringing. I took it from him and saw that there was a call coming in. Most of the time, it just rings because he has hit the button that adjusts the ring volume. When I saw that the call was coming from the police dept. I immediately assumed what had happened. Sure enough, Jackson had called 9-1-1 while playing with the phone. Out of four children he is the first one to ever do that. The operator asked me if I needed assistance. I explained that my 18 month old child must have dialed the numbers while playing with the phone. Then I apologized profusely while I answered the rest of her questions. What is your address? Phone number? Are you able to speak freely? She then strongly advised me not to let it happen again as it tied up the phone line for real emergencies.
Boy, do I feel embarrassed!

7 comments:

Liz said...

Oops! I'm always worried that David is going to do that when I let him play with the phone. That or call China or something. Why can't little toddlers like playing with their little play phones as much as they like real ones?

Anon said...

HA HA HA, I am laughing because Cooper did that not so long ago! Only he did it on purpose :)

Darin and Joanna said...

My niece did that in St. George when we were all on vacation. The police still insisted they come and check things out just in case. Kind of funny!

DD said...

Aaahie! Yes, embarrasing, but I am glad that it was an embarrasement and not an emergency.
Mommy

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Yikes! I always worried about that too but so far no one has done it. I guess there is still a chance with Lilian. Hmmm. Maybe I need to watch her a bit more closely when she has the phone.... :)

Melissa@thebblog said...

Shoot. maybe they should change 911 to be like 8-5-5 or something. with the 9 and the 1 being the far outer corners of the keypad, I suppose little thumbs holding the phone hit them often. Or, maybe I'm just making that up. Sorry for the embarrasment. I think I'd just die when they chastized me.

Camilla Millar said...

Oops!